September 20, 2011

Pappaw's Darlin'

Today I will be heading back to Concord for two weeks to help take care of my ailing Pappaw. Last year he was diagnosed with lung and bone cancer and he is slowly getting more feeble.

My Dad is the only child so a lot has been put on my parents regarding Pappaw's care; he's not a really good "patient". Is is old, stubborn and set in his ways which most are not appropriate but that 's my Pappaw.

These two weeks will probably be the last "good" weeks that I will spend with him since he is going downhill on a weekly basis. Living 8 hours away is hard on  the heart because I know I can't be there as much as I would like to be so this trip is something I am looking forward to.

I am NOT looking forward to leaving Mike and Vicki for 10 days but they know this is something that I have to do. I will need closure in his passing and this is part of it. I don't want to sit here while he still has some good days and my only excuse is that I am 8 hours away. I don't know how well that would sit with me once he is gone.

I do pray that God keeps him as comfortable as he can and this isn't a long process where my Pappaw has to suffer more than he already is. He is in pain and it seems to get worse every week. Pain is entering areas like his arm/shoulder and foot where I am sure the cancer has now taken over once healthy bones. It's a sad situation but I am blessed to be able to go back home....this is what I need and maybe he does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment