August 27, 2013

Recipe: Aunt Annie's Cubed Steak with peppers and onions





It's been almost 9 months since I blogged about a recipe so I thought what we were having for dinner would be a great post because it's deliciously good! Mike loves his Aunt Annie's cubed steak with peppers and onions so she was kind enough to email it to me and it's been a favorite of ours for the past 3 years. It is a little time consuming to prepare and cook so if you work during the day it may be a little hard to pull this one off so it may need to be saved for a weekend. However, this recipe is amazing so you need to try it at least once! I have never had this type of cubed steak before because my Mammaw made ours with a brown gravy but I must admit I prefer this recipe over hers *gasp*!


Ingredients:

1.5 lb of Cubed Steak - I buy the packs at Wal-Mart that have 3 steaks
1 small white onion
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 yellow pepper (not necessary)
1 can of Diced Tomatoes with green chilies
2 cans of Beef Broth
Red Wine of any kind (not necessary)
3-4 Cloves of Garlic
Vegetable Oil
Flour
Salt & Pepper

Pre-heat oven to 350°
Pound your cubed steak with lots of flour using a tenderizer; the more flour the better. Heat your oil and chopped garlic in a skillet large enough to fit your floured meat pieces. Brown your steaks on both sides; this should only take 1-2 minutes per side. Once the steak is browned transfer to a large covered casserole dish. Add your can of diced tomatoes (juice too), chopped onion, chopped green and red bell pepper. If you like your dishes spicy you can add jalapenos or other peppers to your liking. Add enough beef broth to cover the steak and pepper mixture completely; this may not take both cans but reserve the leftover in case you need it later. I also add red wine to this dish and I never measure it out but I would say it's somewhere between a 1/4 - 1/2 cup. It doesn't have to be fancy red wine either, the cheapest works fine and you can omit the wine completely if you prefer. Also, add salt and pepper to taste.

Cover and cook the dish until tender. This dish needs to cook for at least 3 hours but I typically leave mine in the oven for 4 - 4.5 hours; stirring 2-3x before the dish is done. Add the reserved broth if you see it's needed but you do not want this dish too "runny" so be careful not to add to much.

I serve this with rice but mashed potatoes would be perfect too as the "broth" makes an excellent gravy.

Enjoy!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment