January 8, 2014

A Must or a bust: L'oreal Youth Code BB Cream Illuminator

I am starting a new post on my Blog and YouTube channel called "A Must or A Bust"; this will highlight one beauty product and I will give my review on whether I think it's a "must" or a "bust"! I am really excited about these types of posts because I find them very helpful when I am considering buying a new product. I am constantly reading reviews or watching YouTube videos on the latest and greatest trends and they have really helped me, in most cases, make a wise purchase.

Today I wanted to talk about a BB cream because they are everywhere these days and every time you turn around a new company has added one to the market. A BB cream, also known as a Beauty Balm or Blemish Balm is supposed to be an all in one product. It's a tinted moisturizer that nourishes, perfects, corrects and evens out your skin tone. Some have anti-aging properties, SPF,  illuminators and soothing/healing ingredients. It starts to get overwhelming when you are trying to find the "perfect" BB cream because everyone makes them now and they all claim to do wonders and each one is different. I honestly think I spent an hour the first time I picked out one because I was so indecisive. I have tried several over the past few weeks and I have been pretty pleased!


I am going to discuss the L'Oreal Youth Code BB Cream Illuminator today because it's the one that has threw me for a loop. This BB cream unlike the "basic" BB creams has an illuminator in it that is supposed to give you the appearance of "perfect skin". The packaging claims to:

  • Even Skin Tone with a hint of color
  • Illuminates
  • Perfects Texture
  • 24-Hour Moisture
  • Helps protect against future damage

When I saw this at CVS I was pretty intrigued since it had the illuminator because I am a sucker for highlighters and a dewy finish. I have very dry skin so anything that helps out with moisture and dullness I am game for. I am also a huge fan of L'Oreal products so I even with the steep drugstore price tag ($17.99) I was willing to try it out. I decided to choose the Light shade because I am very pale and I figured the medium would be too dark. I am glad I did because even the light was just a tad too dark for me but was still wearable. This does not have a "cream" texture as it's more runny like a lotion. It blends well and feels good on your skin; it left my skin feeling moisturized. I did not like the smell because it almost smells like medicine and I don't like that in my beauty products - I prefer clean or floral scents. As far as the illuminating factor I can honestly say it was OVERKILL. It left my face looking greasy and too shiny. I actually had to use a powder to matte it out because it was just too much for me and that's shocking considering I like that type of finish.


As far as coverage I do not think it's as good as the other BB creams I have tried. I have areas of pigmentation and those were still visible using this cream. As far as evening out my skin tone I don't think it did that because it actually defined my dark under eye circles. They were noticeably darker when I used this cream and I am not sure how that even happens. As I mentioned above I think the shades tend to run on the darker side because the light was almost a medium shade in my opinion. I also tried using this under my normal foundation to provide a fuller coverage and that was okay. It all blended well and you could still see the glow that the illuminator provides.


All in all I was pretty disappointed with this BB cream especially considered the price. I have tried 2 other BB creams that were cheaper and worked so much better than this one. So, for me, this was a total.......BUST.


If you have tried this product let me know because I would love to hear what you thought about it. I hope that this has been helpful and I look forward to featuring another product soon! Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel for the coordinating vlog. Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment