October 8, 2013

Tasty Tuesday Recipe: Five Alarm Chili with Spicey Topping

I have decided that every Tuesday I am going to write a blog post about a favorite recipe our family enjoys.....hence "Tasty Tuesday Recipe"!  This should be fun and maybe it will inspire you to try some new dishes that you may have not otherwise known about. I have been trying REALLY hard to incorporate new recipes at dinner so I don't get bored with cooking! I believe that I got burned out with cooking dinners because I was just tired of making the same old crap all of the time. I can only imagine how my family felt eating the same stuff every week -- sadly, we had "make your own" dinners a lot because I was so sick of cooking! Needless to say, my family is really loving the fact that I got my cooking mojo back and we've been eating good for a month now! Hopefully this new trend will continue for a long time because it's been fun and fulfilling for our bellies!

I wanted to share one of my all time favorite recipes for Fall/Winter! I find that chili is such a good comfort food and it always makes me happy! You can't go wrong when cheese is added to anything so the spicy topping for this dish is a nice treat. I hope that your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine does. I make this at least 2 or 3 times a month once Fall and Winter roll around because it's quick, easy and cheap to make! Enjoy!

Ingredients
2 pounds ground beef round
1 large yellow onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large red bell pepper -- coarsely chopped
2 jalapeƱo peppers -- minced
1/4 cup chili powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano -- crumbled
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 cans {14.5 oz. each} diced tomatoes - un-drained

1 can  {10 oz. each} diced tomatoes and green chilies - un-drained
1/2 can of  beef broth
1 can {15 1/2 oz.} pinto beans -- rinsed and drained
 

1 can {15 1/2 oz.} dark red kidney beans -- rinsed and drained
1 can {15 1/2 oz.} light red kidney beans -- rinsed and drained
 
 

Spicy Topping1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 cup shredded Colby cheese


      
                       Directions for making Five Alarm Chili & Spicy Topping

Chili: In a large skillet, brown beef, onion, and garlic in oil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Drain off excess oil. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef mixture to a slow cooker and combine with remaining ingredients except the Spicy Topping and cheese. Stir to mix well. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours. Stir once during the last hour if cooking on High.
Topping: In a small bowl, combine ingredients for topping. Stir well to blend evenly. Refrigerate until ready to use. Return to room temperature before spooning a dollop onto each serving of chili. Sprinkle with Colby cheese and serve.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment