January 31, 2011

Comfort Food

It's a gloomy and rainy day here in the Deep South so what better day to cook some food that is good for the soul? I am making a hefty amount of chili in the crockpot and since it's such a huge success in the Beemer house I thought I would share it with you! 

Ingredients

2 pounds of ground beef
1/2 White Onion - chopped
1 can of Pinto Beans - drained
1 can of Red or Kidney Beans - drained
1 can of Chickpeas - drained
1 can of Rotel - mild or hot
2 cans of Tomato Sauce (small 8 oz cans)
1 can of Diced Tomatoes - drained
1 cup of Salsa (I use Medium/Chunky)
1/4 cup of Beef Broth (reserve remainder of can for later use)
4 tbsp of Chili Seasoning
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder & Red Pepper Flakes to suit your taste

Brown ground beef and stir in all ingredients to your crockpot. Set crockpot on low for at least 4 hours; I usually cook mine for 6 hours. If you want a spicier chili you can add chili powder and jalapenos to the mixture. I always reserve the remainder of the beef broth in case the chili thickens too much while cooking and I add a little at a time throughout the day. When it's time to serve top with shredded cheese, sour cream and crackers if you wish. 


I hope that you and your family enjoys this simple and as Brody would say, "YuumMeee"  recipe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment