March 9, 2011

Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time!

I think know that I am becoming addicted to sewing and I haven't even really started my first real project yet. Yes, I made a set of curtains for Vic's room but that was somewhat easy and I only had to sew one seam across the top of the fabric to finish the curtain....nothing too tricky about that. However, my husband made the mistake of buying the perfect gift for a crafter like myself; "Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts" and "Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing". 


I am not a huge fan of Martha because I really think she could win the award for "Snobbiest Bitch on the Planet" but she does come up with some really cute things to make. In all honesty and I *hate* to admit this but I love all of her stuff she comes out with...even her lines, cookware, crafting supplies...if her name is on it then I will be the one drooling over it at the local Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Her taste is very chic and tasteful. It's never overdone or tacky; it's very trendy but yet it's timeless. 


Tonight I printed out several patterns from my book that I want to try in the near future so after dinner I told Mike we needed to run to Wal-Mart (big mistake) to get a couple (bigger mistake) of things that I needed  wanted for my upcoming projects that I had chosen from my Martha Stewart Bible. Needless to say we walked out of there with $50 less in our checking account and a few more additional items I thought of while we were there that wasn't on our original list. Ooops. 


I am looking forward to making these new items because they are so cute and make great gifts for newborns or small children. I know we have had some of these given to Brody and he loves them and I do too. It's something about the handmade gifts he receives that pull at my heartstrings. I know someone took the time to put their time, energy and heart into a project that was specifically made for that person. How can it get any better than that? Yes, you can go buy a stuffed bunny, duck, table runner or dress off of the shelf at the store but in my mind it's more interesting and meaningful when someone took the time to make it for you. Maybe that is the "old soul" in me but I am glad I still carry that way of thinking around with me. 






So my new projects will be coming from my Martha Stewart Bible and will hopefully include the Menswear Bunny, The terrycloth Duck, The Leaf Table Runner and a Pillowcase dress. I am really excited about working on them....now if I can only find the time!! 

1 comment:

  1. Snobbiest Bitch on the Planet Award.. literally made me laugh out loud.. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that about her.. I think it's a love/hate thing.. I love EVERYTHING she has.. but she irritates the crap out of me..

    ReplyDelete